Responding to COVID-19
“Being Conference to one another” means offering help and encouragement during tough times. This page of resources is meant to provide tools and inspiration to church leaders and congregations. If you have resource to share, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
A word from Dan Miller
- VACCINE INFORMATION:
- “How Can We Keep from Singing“- article by Susan Naus Dengler from The Mennonite.
- “Reopening Will Require Truth, Unity and Solidarity“- article by Jim Wallis at Sojourners online magazine.
- “Leading Beyond the Blizzard: Why Every Organization Is Now a Startup”-Andy Crouch, Kurt Keilhacker, and Dave Blanchard.
- “Reopening the Church: 4 Phases for an Orderly Return”– by Ken Braddy Jr.
- What Relaunching Church Might Look Like Over the Next 3-12 Months– by Ed Stezer and Josh Laxton from Christianity Today.
- How Church Leaders Are Responding to COVID-19 Challenges: 2nd Round Survey– Andrew Macdonald, Ed Stetzer, Todd Wilson, and Daniel Yang from Christianity Today.
- Video Call Suggestions-To ensure that your video calls go as smoothly as possible, try to follow these guidelines. By Dan Schrock, pastor at Berkey Avenue Mennonite Church
- Technology Best Practices for Virtual Meetings and Work Tools- Webinar series created by Crystal Washington, a technology strategist and certified futurist, this series is broken into short videos that offer tips and suggestions for navigating today’s leading video conferencing and sharing platforms for virtual ministry.
- Covid Sabbath is a College Mennonite podcast, hosted by pastor Daniel Yoder, that gives us a chance to hear how others have coped with issues similar to what we are experiencing now. Familiar voices share about their experiences of change, social distancing, lament, and how we might reframe this time as a gift of sabbath. You can find it on Spotify and Google Podcasts.
- The Hope Series– Mennonite Mission Network
- How to use Facebook Live (Youtube video)
YOUTH AND FAMILY RESOURCES
- Raising the Coronavirus Generation– article by Sandi Villareal from Sojouners Magazine
- Covid Sabbath is a College Mennonite podcast, hosted by pastor Daniel Yoder, that gives us a chance to hear how others have coped with issues similar to what we are experiencing now. Familiar voices share about their experiences of change, social distancing, lament, and how we might reframe this time as a gift of sabbath. You can find it on Anchor, Spotify, and Google Podcasts.
- Youth Culture Matters: A Center for Parent/Youth Understanding (CPYU) Podcast
- Building Faith Family Resources
- Don’t Be Afraid: Stories of Christians in Times of Trouble study for children- MennoMedia
- The Bible Project: videos and discussion guides; sign up for weekly resources to do ‘church-at-home’
GRIEF & MENTAL HEALTH RESOURCES
- “Rituals around death and dying“- Webinar addressing the questions: How do you grieve when funeral practices are not allowed due to physical distancing? Are there rituals pastors can utilize to assist people in the grief process? Join hospital chaplains Charlene Epp, Jerry Nussbaum and Jennifer Boers Gingerich for a webinar that explores these important topics.
- “Leading Through Loss During the Coronavirus Pandemic” a podcast miniseries by Pastor Pete Scazzero
- Lamenting Together: The following writings by Bob Yoder explore answer the question, “What is biblical lament?” and provide exercises for praying prayers of lament.
- “Christianity Offers No Answers About the Coronavirus” from Time Magazine Online by NT. Wright
- Revised Funeral Guidelines for College Mennonite Church, Goshen, IN-how one congregation is approaching funeral preparations during a time of social distancing.
- Mental Health and Coping During COVID-19-a resource from the CDC
- COVID-19 and Your Mental Health-Mayo Clinic
- Pastoral Family Assistance Program–The PFAP is available to licensed and ordained pastors and their immediate family members while serving as a pastor in an Indiana-Michigan Conference church (and up to six months following), individuals serving as conference staff, or those in retirement from pastoral duties in the Indiana-Michigan Conference.
- A Spiritual Practice during the time of COVID-19-this resource from Spiritual Directors International was created by Steven Crandell.
CARING FOR EACH OTHER
- “Sharing Hope Amidst COVID-19“- Mennonite Mission Network
- Mennonite Church USA resources for responding to COVID-19 coronavirus
- Letter from Glenn about COVID-19
- CDC Guidelines and Prevention tips
- “Managing COVID-19 (Coronavirus)” by Dan Shrock, Berkey Avenue Mennonite Fellowship
- “CMC Community Life Amidst Novel Coronavirus/COVID 19 Crisis” by Pamela Yoder, College Mennonite Church
WORKING FROM HOME
- “How to Actually Work…When You’re Working from Home” a fun and helpful video from the Harvard Business Review
- The following articles by Tony Stolzfus are resources from Metaformation.