May 2018 Call for Submissions: Love Across Borders
March 12, 2018
The Mennonite, Inc., welcomes your original submissions for our May 2018 print magazine issue and corresponding online content focusing on Love Across Borders.
Borders can be national borders that separate countries as well as economic or cultural borders that keep people apart. In the United States today, government officials are increasingly targeting and deporting undocumented immigrants, including “dreamers,” who were brought here as children by undocumented parents. Many of our Mennonite congregations include undocumented immigrants, sometimes referred to as undocumentable immigrants, given the current context.
Submissions may consider these and other prompts/questions related to the theme:
• How is your congregation responding to the needs of undocumented immigrants?
• How does the church love those deemed undocumented or undocumentable within an unjust immigration system?
• How do those of us who are technically immigrants (meaning those not indigenous to this land) live with and welcome those who are recent immigrants?
• What does God say about “aliens” and welcoming them into our lands, hearts, presence?
• If you are an undocumented or recent immigrant, how have you experienced the presence of Mennonites in your story?
Submissions are due to Editor@TheMennonite.org no later than March 19, 2018.
We welcome written reflections—personal stories, biblical or theological reflections, poetry and more (800-1,200 words)—as well as original photography, multimedia products (including but not limited to original music recordings, music playlists and videos) and artwork on the theme.
Please note we are committed to anti-oppression reviews as part of our editorial process. We have pulled together a list of anti-oppression guidelines for writers to consider as they are developing their piece. You can also review our full editorial guidelines.